Monday, June 9, 2014

The Importance of Handwriting

Handwriting is something that I greatly enjoy. There is just something about putting the pen to the paper and filling it up with thoughts, events, memories, and such that is so...nostalgic. Brings back memories of when I was in elementary school. The teachers spent so much time focusing on teaching us how to write (by hand) and we even learned cursive! I do not even think they teach children cursive anymore in school.

Whether it is filling out applications, writing in my journal, writing letters with photos attached to my Grandma down in Oregon, handwriting is bliss...happiness...relaxing.



I would like to thank a fellow blogger for posting about this as well and sharing the link to "What's Lost as Handwriting Fades". This article is an interesting read. I find it informative that, "Children not only learn to read more quickly when they first learn to write by hand, but they also remain better able to generate ideas and retain information". (Konnikova, Maria June 02, 2014).
 
In a world were technology is so prevalent and mainstream, it is easy to forget how things first started....with a pen, a piece of paper, and some ink. According to research that is out there, handwriting also keeps the brain in tip-top working order, sharper than ever. Not only that, but handwriting helps the brain to remember and retain information better than the screen and keyboard does.
 
Here is another article that you may find interesting. "4 Benefits of Writing by Hand" - Chris Gayomali. This article also comes with some references to research studies, and information that you might find interesting.
 





1 comment:

  1. I agree! I think it's a shame that they aren't teaching penmanship in most schools anymore. At least that's what I hear. I can't imagine not being able to take pen in hand. I really can't. I've been writing since I was nine--outside of school, that is. ;) There is something much more intimate and contemplative about a handwritten letter vs an email. So very different to me. I do think it is such a different way of learning, too--yes. I can't imagine a world without paper, pens, inks...and books, too.

    ReplyDelete