Monday, April 21, 2014

Noodler's Antietam and Noodler's Burma Road Brown

Lamy Al-Star Fountain Pen in Pearl (2013 edition)


I must admit, I am really starting to like this pen. Now I see why so many people who like fountain pens, use this brand of pen. The Lamy Al-Star fountain pen. It is a bit lighter in weight than I am used to (since I am used to Moteverde's tool pen and a durable Sheaffer 100 pen). However, it has held up in the short amount of time that I have owned this.

When I purchased this pen, I also decided to give some different inks and colors a try. Noodlers appears to have the larger selection of all the inks available at Goulet Pens so hence I chose two from Noodlers. Noodler's Antietam and Noodler's Burma Road Brown. Both inks I am kind of partial too.

Noodlers Antietam
When I first started using Noodler's Antietam, I actually like it. The color was beautiful vibrant, and yet dark enough that you could still read the words. I did notice that with this ink, it goes on lighter and dries darker. The difference isn't huge, but it is enough to notice. I even used this ink on some really thin notepad paper. I had hardly any bleeding either (unless th ere was a spot where I applied heavier pressure with the pen).


Noodler's Burma Road Brown

After a few days of writing with the Antietam, I cleaned out my Lamy pen and switched inks to Noodler's Burma Road Brown. This ink also goes on really smooth. I think I might like this ink more so than the Antietam. The color reminds me of muddy water. Or maybe diluted mud. Either way, a couple of days writing with this ink will tell more.


Both Noodler Inks side by side

So, with that, the journaling continues! 

2 comments:

  1. Did you try these out with ink samples from Goulet's? Or did you just go for it and buy the bottles?

    Lamys are such dependable pens. I prefer a thinner line and, since I have tried Japanese pens, even my EF Lamys seem much thicker now. But on paper that really sucks up the ink or with very dry inks, I always reach for the wider nibs. Variety is the spice of life, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did try these out with Ink samples from Goulet's. I did not want to purchase a whole bottle and have it turn out that I did not like the ink (which I am glad I didn't because I am STILL not sure how I feel about the Antietam ink, however pretty it is). The ink samples were very reasonable ($1.25 per sample) and It is enough to really allow me to try the ink out. I too prefer thinner lines. I thought a Lamy fine nib would be thin, however I probably could have gone EF and will likely purchase one in the future to try out. The only problem I have had with nibs (from other fountain pens) that are really fine, is that sometimes it feels scratchy or like it snags on the paper. But like you said, Variety is the spice of life :) Having the different options at my hand is nice :)

      Delete